Skip to main content

Writing While Healing - Indie Author Interview: Stephanie Dawson

Welcome to the newest post in Writing While Healing, a series where I speak with indie authors who’ve found light through writing during their darkest times.


Today, I’m honored to feature Stephanie Dawson, an indie author. You can learn more about Stephanie Dawson here.

                                              

Please introduce yourself!

I'm a retired nurse, a mom, a grandmother, death doula, grief coach, writer, among other things. I grew up in a grieving family, my sister Lisa died when I was 4, in 1972. I became disabled in 2010 and was forced to retire. I later became a death doula, then my son died in 2020 and my mom in 2021. I then studied to become a grief coach.

Please tell us a little about yourself and the kind of stories you write.

I've been writing for several years- newspaper articles, short stories, essays, poems, and a children's book I'm hoping to publish soon.

Please share a bit about your mental health journey, as much as you are comfortable with :)

I have depression and anxiety, exacerbated by grief. I also have PTSD. I have worked with therapists and coaches over the course of the last 38 years or so.

How has your mental health influenced your writing process or creativity?

I feel like getting it out on paper or typing it to be very helpful. I do find it hard to write when I'm in a bad place emotionally. Writing also takes a back seat to my physical health quite often.

Do you find writing to be healing, challenging, or a bit of both?

I find it very therapeutic. I encourage it with my clients as well.

Has your experience with mental health shaped the themes or characters in your stories?

Definitely.

Are there any writing routines, boundaries, or self-care habits that help you stay grounded?

Yes I utilize a wide variety of self-care routines and habits.

What advice would you give to other writers who have similar struggles as you?

Do it scared.

Have you ever taken breaks from writing to focus on your mental health?

Yes.

What’s something you wish more people understood about being a writer with mental health struggles?

Mental health issues both feed and destroy creativity, it depends on the day.

Is there anything else you'd like to share with the readers?

You're not seeking perfection, or to emulate other writers. Your voice is unique, no one else has your perspective or experience, just start, one word at a time.

Where can readers connect with you and your work? (Socials, website, books, etc.)

Threads/Instagram - @deathwithsteph

____________________________________________________________


Thank you for reading!

Bookish Musings sustains on your support. If you like the interview and would like to tip me, you can do it here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing While Healing - Indie Author Interview: Ananya

Welcome to the newest post in Writing While Healing, a series where I speak with indie authors who’ve found light through writing during their darkest times. Today, I’m honored to feature  Ananya , a  student and an indie writer . You can learn more about  Ananya here . Please introduce yourself! Hi, I’m Ananya! I’m a student and an indie writer, currently working on my debut book while exploring creative journaling. Writing has always been my personal safe space to process life and heal, and I’m excited to share a little piece of that journey here. Please tell us a little about yourself and the kind of stories you write. I write stories that lean toward the tragic—tales of characters carrying their own traumas, strong female leads, and love stories that ache in all the right places. Whether it’s thriller, mystery, suspense, or soft romance, there’s always a thread of raw emotion and tragedy running through them, reflecting the complex, inner world of human na...

Writing While Healing - Indie Author Interview: Matthew Arnold Stern

“This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Bookish Musings!” Welcome to the newest post in Writing While Healing, a series where I speak with indie authors who’ve found light through writing during their darkest times. Today, I’m honored to feature Matthew Arnold Stern. You can learn more about Matthew Arnold Stern here . Please introduce yourself! Thank you for having me. I'm Matthew Arnold Stern, an award-winning speaker and author. I've published four novels, including Amiga and The Remainders , and I have a book about public speaking, Mastering Table Topics. My fifth novel, Christina's Portrait, is in submission. Please tell us a little about yourself and the kind of stories you write. I write about characters who face challenges and must learn to overcome them. In Christina's Portrait, one of my main characters lost her mother during the COVID...

Writing While Healing - Indie Author Interview: Jessica Salina

  Welcome to the newest post in Writing While Healing, a series where I speak with indie authors who’ve found light through writing during their darkest times. Today, I’m honored to feature Jessica, a romance author and a mental health advocate. You can learn more about Jessica  here . Please introduce yourself! Hi, I’m Jessica Salina! I’m a romance author living in the Seattle area with complex post-traumatic stress disorder (CPTSD) and fibromyalgia. I grew up on sci fi, fantasy, and fairytales, and to this day my tastes haven’t changed much. When I’m not writing, you can find me and my husband boxing, gaming (both video games and D&D), or enjoying some leisurely hikes. Please tell us a little about yourself and the kind of stories you write. I write romance since I love a guaranteed happily-ever-after. I don’t limit myself to one subgenre, though. My latest release, STUCK ON THE SLOPES , is a contemporary romantic comedy. In 2026, my fantasy romance EYES OF MOLTEN S...